Dr. Shilesh Iyer is a Board Certified Dermatologist and professor of dermatology at Columbia University. He earned a B.A. in Economics and Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry from Yale College and graduated with honors from the New York University School of Medicine where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society.
After completing his internship in Internal Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center-Harvard Medical School, Dr. Iyer went on to train in dermatology at UCLA, where he received the Outstanding Resident Award for three successive years. He also served as Chief Resident in Dermatology and completed advanced fellowship training in cosmetic and laser dermatology, liposculpting, and dermatologic surgery.
Dr. Iyer has published extensively in the medical and cosmetic dermatologic literature and has presented at national and international meetings. He previously served as a clinical instructor in the Division of Dermatology at UCLA and is currently on faculty in the Department of Dermatology of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Dr. Iyer has been featured in Elle, CBS news, Forbes, Teen Vogue, Yahoo.com as well as other online media outlets and has collaborated with Joan Rivers on her popular guide to cosmetic surgery. She has described him as working “endlessly at making sure that all of the correct information is given to patients”. Having practiced in both Los Angeles and New York, Dr. Iyer has treated top celebrities as well as other high profile faces. He currently resides in New York City.
1. Fitzpatrick R, Bernstein E, Iyer S, Brown D, Andrews P, Penny K. A histopathologic evaluation of the Plasma Skin Regeneration System (PSR) versus a standard carbon dioxide resurfacing laser in an animal model. Lasers Surg Med. 2008;40(2):93–99. doi:10.1002/lsm.20547
2.Iyer S, Fitzpatrick RE. Long-pulsed dye laser treatment for facial telangiectasias and erythema: evaluation of a single purpuric pass versus multiple subpurpuric passes. Dermatol Surg. 2005;31(8 Pt 1):898–903. doi:10.1097/00042728-200508000-00002
3.Iyer S, Bowes L, Kricorian G, Friedli A, Fitzpatrick RE. Treatment of basal cell carcinoma with the pulsed carbon dioxide laser: a retrospective analysis. Dermatol Surg. 2004;30(9):1214–1218. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4725.2004.30378.x
4.Iyer S, Friedli A, Bowes L, Kricorian G, Fitzpatrick RE. Full face laser resurfacing: therapy and prophylaxis for actinic keratoses and non-melanoma skin cancer. Lasers Surg Med. 2004;34(2):114–119. doi:10.1002/lsm.20012
5.Rostan E, Bowes LE, Iyer S, Fitzpatrick RE. A double-blind, side-by-side comparison study of low fluence long pulse dye laser to coolant treatment for wrinkling of the cheeks. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2001;3(3):129–136. doi:10.1080/147641701753414933
6.Iyer S, Goldman M. Treatment of lentigo maligna with combination laser therapy: recurrence at 8 months after initial resolution. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2003;5(1):49–52.
7. Butterwick KJ, Bevin AA, Iyer S. Fat transplantation using fresh versus frozen fat: a side-by-side two-hand comparison pilot study. Dermatol Surg. 2006;32(5):640–644. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4725.2006.32135.x
8. Iyer S, Jones DH. Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin infection: a retrospective analysis of clinical presentation and treatment of a local outbreak. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004;50(6):854–858. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2003.12.043
9. Iyer S, Carranza D, Kolodney M, Macgregor D, Chipps L, Soriano T. Evaluation of procollagen I deposition after intense pulsed light treatments at varying parameters in a porcine model. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2007;9(2):75–78. doi:10.1080/14764170701299313
10. Lowe NJ, Yamauchi PS, Lask GP, Patnaik R, Iyer S. Efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type a in the treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Dermatol Surg. 2002;28(9):822–827. doi:10.1046/j.1524-4725.2002.02039.x
11. Lowe NJ, Yamauchi PS, Lask GP, Patnaik R, Iyer S. Efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type a in the treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Dermatol Surg. 2002;28(9):822–827. doi:10.1046/j.1524-4725.2002.02039.x
12. Iyer S, Yamauchi P, Lowe NJ. Etanercept for severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: observations on combination therapy. Br J Dermatol. 2002;146(1):118–121. doi:10.1046/j.0007-0963.2001.04529.x
Dr Iyer was one of my teachers during my dermatology residency at Columbia University. I always sought his help for more complex cases because I knew he would provide me up-to-date and evidence-based recommendations. His expertise in medical and cosmetic dermatology, his calm demeanor and quiet confidence are reasons why patients and colleagues love him!
Dr. Iyer has been my friend and colleague for over a decade. He has treated me personally with Botox, Dysport, and facial fillers with artistry and a natural touch. I would trust him medically, surgically and cosmetically. He is ethical and kind!